Tarot Card Reading
The tarot, tæroʊ; first known as trionfi and later as tarocchi, tarock and tarot; is a pack of playing cards, used from the mid-15th century in various parts of Europe to play games such as Italian tarocchini, French tarot and Austrian Königrufen. Many of these tarot card games are still played today. In the late 18th century, it began to be used in parallel for divination in the form of tarotology and cartomancy and specialist packs were developed for this occult purpose.
Like common playing cards, the tarot has four suits, which vary by region: French suits in Northern Europe, Latin suits in Southern Europe, and German suits in Central Europe. Each suit has 14 cards, ten pip cards numbering from one (or Ace) to ten and four face cards (King, Queen, Knight, and Jack/Knave). In addition, the tarot has a separate 21-card trump suit and a single card known as the Fool. Depending on the game, the Fool may act as the top trump or may be played to avoid following suit. These tarot cards, without occult symbology, are still used throughout much of Europe to play card games.
In English-speaking countries, where these games are not played, tarot cards are used primarily for divinatory purposes, usually using specially designed packs. The cards are traced by some occult writers to ancient Egypt or the Kabbalah but there is no documented evidence of such origins or of the usage of tarot for divination before the 18th century.
How to Phrase Effective Tarot Card Questions?
Asking the right kind of questions can make your tarot readings productive, illuminating and insightful - and can help guide you towards your dreams and goals; an chances are that an imperfectly phrased question is going to get you answers that can be confusing or even depressing.
- Ask open-ended questions that require a full answer, using the subject's own knowledge or feelings; questions that are objective, do not lead the person being asked, and result in an answer that requires an explanation.
Don't: Will I get the job?
Do: How can I advance in my career?
- Ask questions about yourself; as asking questions about the other people can be both unethical as well as unproductive; an attempt to control the uncontrollable and promote unhealthy ways to deal with anxiety.
Don't: Does my lover have feelings for someone else?
Do: How can I strengthen the bond between me and my lover?
- Take ownership of the situation; stop the blame game; don't attempt to place responsibility elsewhere when things don't go the way you planned; instead focus more on what you have to do in order to correct it and move forward.
Don't: Will I win the lottery?
Do: What can I do to better my financial situation? What blocks me from financial success and how can I overcome it?
- Ask questions about your present; strengthen your ability to stay present by trying to focus your attention fully on what is going on in front of you.
Don't: Did I do the right thing?
Do: What do I need to do right now to make the most of this situation?
Tarot Card Questions to Avoid Asking
- Will my lover leave his wife?
- Will I win the lottery?
- Does my ex hate me?
- When will I die?
- What is the name of my soul mate?
- Am I pregnant?
- Will my wife's cancer go into remission?
- Should I take the job?
- When will I get married?
- Will I win the court case?
How to re-Phrase Tarot Card Questions
- What do I need to know about ... ?
- What do I need to do to achieve ... ?
- What is standing in the way and how can I best overcome ... ?
- How can I improve my ability to ... ?
- What role do I play in ... life/issue?
- What do I need to change in order to ... ?
- What is the potential for ... ?
In case you need some more inspiration to get your creativity flowing, here is a list of questions that can make some great tarot readings.
General Tarot Card Questions
- What do I need to know or change right now about myself or this situation?
- What is the biggest obstacle that stands in my way right now?
- What lesson do I need to learn to overcome my challenges?
- What is the biggest influence on my life right now?
- What are my greatest strengths or weaknesses?
- What should I be focusing on right now?
- What do I need to know, see or understand right now?
- What do I need to focus on right now?
- What message do my spirit guides or angels have for me?
- How can I have more fun in life?
- What's the best way for me to make a positive difference in the world?
- What will help me feel more at peace?
- How can I express myself creatively this week?
- What talent do I have that I need to use more?
- What part of myself am I ignoring or denying right now?
- What do I need more of in my life?
- What do I need less of in my life?
- How can I feel more connected to others?
- Who in my life do I need to reach out to right now?
- What is influencing me the most right now?
- What spiritual lesson am I trying to master right now?
- How can I be more powerful and effective in my life right now?
- What is my biggest block at the moment?
- What characteristics do I need to fully embrace?
- What area of my life needs the most attention right now?
- How can I feel more free?
Love Tarot Card Questions
- How can I attract a partner that will align with my highest self?
- Is my partner or boyfriend, girlfriend, wife, husband, lover, fully aligned with my energy, desires, and dreams for the future?
- Is my current relationship based on trust, mutual respect, honesty, and full disclosure?
- What stands in the way of me finding love?
- How can I strengthen the relationship between me and my partner?
- How can I best overcome this issue in my relationship?
- Am I seeing my partner fully, as he or she really is?
- What connects us in this relationship?
- Is it in my highest good to walk away from this relationship right now?
- Is it in my highest good to work through this relationship issue by seeking external help, therapy, counseling, etc?
Career Tarot Card Questions
- What career or line of work can I go that will be the most fulfilling?
- What blocks me from achieving my full potential?
- When is the right time to make a career change?
- What actions can I take right now that will help me further my career?
- How can I better communicate with my current employer?
- How can I communicate clearly with my boss, colleague, investor, or my business partner?
- How can I advance in my career and have a positive impact on my field, discipline or industry?
- How can I better align my career or job with my soul purpose?
Finances Tarot Card Questions
- What is my biggest financial obstacle right now?
- How can I open myself up to receive more abundance from the universe?
- What's my biggest financial obstacle or challenge right now?
- What is my attitude towards finances? Where does that come from?
- What kind of financial mindset and attitude have I inherited from my family? If it isn't particularly helpful, how can I let go of it?
- Why do I believe I'm not worthy of material success?
- How can I find material success?
- What is my current debt or scarcity trying to teach me?
Now focus on your question and click the desired tarot card.