BaZi: Four Pillars of Destiny
BaZi is by far the most sophisticated and logical ancient Chinese art of fortune telling. It is based on the interactions of the five basic elements namely Metal, Wood, Water, Fire and Earth and their relationships with time, the seasons, directions and colours; allowing you to gain an insight into your lives, your strengths and weaknesses and your potential. It helps you to investigate your own destiny and predict with astounding accuracy your cyclical luck cycles.
BaZi gives you an insight on your personality, career or business, relationship, health and luck cycles; information that you can use to improve your fortune, your life, relationships, family life and ultimately be the Master of Your Own Destiny:
- Your personality. You will understand yourself better including your strengths and weaknesses so that you could better manage your life.
- Your career or business. You will receive a full detail analysis of your cyclical luck cycles. With this information, you can manage and strategize your moves better at time of uncertainty. Making the right move at the right time, you would have the ability to better your life and enhance your fortune.
- Your relationship. You will gain an understanding on your relationships with people, your loved ones, your spouse and children. Find out when you are lightly to get married.
- Your health. You will be warned when you should take care of your health.
- Your luck cycles. The detail analysis of your luck cycles will help you to manage your career, fortune and health better.
The strategy is to make aggressive advancing moves at the good luck cycles and consolidate at the lesser luck cycles. You will be advised of your luck throughout your life and which are the years to make your advances.
Everything in Bazi is revolved around the 5 elements and its interaction with one another. Therefore a good understanding of the basics will take you a long way for the learning and understanding of Bazi.
The five elements are namely metal, water, wood, fire, and earth. The basic relationship between the five elements are categorised into producing cycle, weakening cycle, and controlling cycle.
The producing cycle
Water produces wood: Water grows wood just like plants need water to grow.
Wood produces fire: We burn wood to produce fire.
Fire produces earth: Fire burns everything into ashes and returns it back to the earth. Earth can be referred to as soil, sand, dust, or ashes.
Earth produces metal: Metal refers to the natural minerals that grow in the earth.
Metal produces water: Metal does not really produce water but attracts water during its condensation process.
The weakening cycle
The five elements are weakened by element that they produce or grow, just like a mother is weakened after giving birth to her child.
Therefore, metal weakens earth, earth weakens fire, fire weakens wood, wood weakens water, and water weakens metal.
The controlling cycle
Metal controls wood: As wood can be chopped down by axes made by metal.
Wood controls earth: The earth or soil is held together by the trees.
Earth controls water: Just like the river or ocean which is contains/bounds the earth.
Water controls fire: Water can extinguish fire.
Fire controls metal: Fire is used to melt metal.
Relationship with other element
Element that you (The Day Master) control is your wealth element
Element that controls you (The Day Master) is your influence element
Element that you (The Day Master) produce is your output element
Element that produces you (The Day Master) is your resource element
Element that is the same as you (The Day Master) is your companion element
Strength of elements based on seasons
Determining the strength of the element will be based on the season that the person is born in, which is the same way as determining the strength of the stems' element.
The Four Pillars of Destiny
Bazi, also known as The Four Pillars of Destiny, is one of the most authentic and accurate chinese prediction system of individual destiny where each pillar is a combination of two elements - the Heavenly Stem and the Earthly Branch.
The four pillars are plotted in the light of the birth year, month, day and hour of the person. The day stem is known as the Day Master and represents the person. They are responsible for the potenitial of a person and cannot be changed. What is happenning in a persons life is influenced by the Luck Pillars, which indicate the prevailing Qi at a certain period of time.
- The Hour
- The hour column represents the hour of your birth. It represents your children. The Heavenly Stem of the hour column represents the son, while its Earthly Branch represents the daughter.
- The hour column represents short term affairs. Its Heavenly Stem describes your passions, while its Earthly Branch reflects your wishes.
- The upper half of the hour column represents your career, while the lower one represents your friends.
- The Day
- The day column represents the day of your birth and it represents you as an individual. The Heavenly Stem of the day column is named Day Master and refers to your intrinsic nature. Its Earthly Branch represents your partner or spouse (wife, husband).
- The day column can explain the depth of your soul. It is also attached to the success you achieve. The Heavenly Stem of the day column reflects your original nature, while its Earthly Branch describes the actions and behavior of your partner or spouse.
- The Heavenly Stem of the day column represents your destiny, while it’s Earthly Branch represents the destiny of your partner or spouse.
- The Month
- The month column represents the month of your birth. This column represents your parents. The Heavenly Stem of the month column represents the father, while its Earthly Branch represents the mother.
- The month column is connected to your income and your view of money. It also represents your capabilities, mind and wisdom. The Heavenly Stem of the month column represents your ambitions, while its Earthly Branch represents your character.
- The upper half of the month column represents your superiors, while its lower part represents your happiness and virtues.
- The Year
- The year column represents the year of your birth. This column represents your grandparents and ancestry. The Heavenly Stem of the year column represents the grandfather, while its Earthly Branch represents the grandmother.
- The year column is attached to the future, longevity and it also represents long-term goals.
- The upper half of the year column is used to describe your health condition. Its lower part represents property, describing your possessions (real estate).
In the study of Bazi, one has to understand the characteristics and meanings of the ten heavenly stems and twelve earthly branches. Upon understanding these characters, the interaction of these characters between each other can be used to foretell the story.
- The Heavenly Stems
- The ten Heavenly Stems represent the five Qi at different times that come from Heaven-Tian Yuan.
- The Yang Stems are robust and rigid and the Yin Stems are slender and flexible.
- The images of the Stems resemble the various things in the picture of a persons life and help us to understand the five elements.
- The Earthly Branches
- A branch describes the Qi of a moment or a period of time. It may be assigned to a year, month, hour and may contain 1, 2 or 3 elements.
- A branch is like a house with the occupants hidden inside. The Major element is the head of the family and the Minor elements are the other members.
- The Heavenly Stems are people at work. Each of the 12 branches is assigned an animal for helping people to memorize them.
There are five special pillars in BaZi and by following them you can maximally take advantage of their heavenly support; by getting to know their role and labeling them, you will always be ready for their influences on your life.
- Nobleman, predicts the help of important people in your life.
- Intelligence, presents knowledge, wisdom and intelligence.
- Sky Horse, predicts movement, action, activities, moving and travel.
- Peach Blossom, presents relationships, social activities and pampering with good food, drink, sex and luxury.
- Solitary, predicts thinking, spiritual breakaway, a sense of loneliness or a search for inner ways.
In BaZi there are 10 Gods who represent the advanced understanding of the game between the energies of Yin and Yang with the Five Elements; the relationships between the five elements and the two polarities, Yin and Yang, produce 10 Gods who have nothing to do with religion, spirits or something similar. Ancient wise men understood the influences of the subtle spiritual word on our physical word, as Gods who were not treated as external authorities, like it is in religions. The 10 Gods are seen as subtle heavenly energy landing on Earth through Man and his mind, having an effect similar to a bridge between two spheres of existence; so our minds can more effectively achieve life clarity, wisdom, and at the end, enlightenment; and the way to once again unite Heaven, Man and Earth.
- The God of Resource is an element that creates, gives birth, feeds, strengthens and supports the element of the Day Master.
- The God of Companion is an element that is the same as the Day Master and represents the individual himself, his personal identity and his feeling of self-worth. It can work as a brother or sister, or as a fan or rival.
- The God of Output is an element that is birthed/created by the Day Master.
- The God of Wealth is an element that is controlled by the Day Master.
- The God of Influence is an element that controls the Day Master.
You can use Four Pillars to determine the potential, character and ability of a person and give the appropriate advice of what changes to make in life or right planning time so that the chances to achive success are higher.
The Chinese believe that there are five factors that affect the success or failure of a person: Destiny, Luck, Feng Shui, Character, Education. Four Pillars can assist a person in choosing the suitable career or advice the good timing for a change or make investment, or even discover hidden talents. Destiny can not be changed but we can influence it by making good decisions at the right time.
Note: We strongly recommend you consult with a BaZi expert in order to understand the meaning of the BaZi results.
What is your Bazi?